Thursday, January 31, 2008

if you don't have something nice to say...

i have left most of the blogging this month to my good blogmate, who for this january has led a much more interesting life than i, what with thailand and such. meanwhile, work has been such a ridiculous *%$&-storm that i haven't had many funny stories to tell... the month was, however, made much better by an excellent work-partner: bikemyers, who listened encouragingly to my new year's quest for a more zen 2008. what better place to try out a resolution for a more zen 2008 than in a chaotic work environment? so far, so good - although, as i told bikemyers at one point, sometimes apathy masquerades as zen. (and as bikemyers told me, sometimes powerlessness manifests as apathy, which masquerades as zen. but as bikemyers's wife told me, sometimes restrained belligerence is not nearly the same thing as zen but is close enough to get you through the day.)

so despite a pretty busy last few weeks, i've successfully managed to hold onto my new year's resolution. i only broke a little to raise my voice to my boss in the following exchange:

boss: *telling animated story in public setting about his colleague's super-efficiency* it's a good thing she's hindu, because she has so many hands!
me: you did not just say that.
boss: you can tell her i said that!
me: but she's sikh!
boss: oh. maybe you shouldn't tell her i said that.

you can imagine, then, that if my only excitement this month has been trying not to get too excited, that it must have been a big victory for living vicariously when my blogmate finally returned from thailand with not just travel stories, but someone new for me to meet. and even better when i got to meet nb in person! from this reviewer, nb gets two thumbs up: first of all, i got to meet him first (of the friends). second of all, he seems funny and smart and makes my blogmate happy. third of all, he mixes a good bloody mary (who knew that liquid smoke and worcestershire sauce aren't the same thing?)

clearly my priorities are in order here.

No comments: